Sunday, August 29, 2010

Timemachine


Have you seen a time-machine? I have, in Old Delhi.
Well actually it is not a time-machine in the real sense of the term. It is actually the Old Bridge across the Yamuna, the Iron bridge from British Raj.
I have travelled across the bridge many times and it never ceases to amaze me. It is actually two bridges in one. there is the rail bridge and underneath it is the one for all sorts of transport. And it is this fact that gives it a sort of time-machine quality.



 I have seen bullockarts, tongas, cyclerikshawas, trolleys, hand carts, and what not, plying across the bridge. I, in my trusted Yamaha Motorbike, have travelled across it to visit my in laws who were then living in Dr. Mokherjee Nagar in the Delhi University area from out flat in Noida any number of times.
The bridge is a marvel of engineering. Nowhere else have I seen such an antiquated bridge. Maybe, only the hanging bridge at Punaloor in Kerala had that effect on me when I was a child. I have not been to UP by train and so have not experienced the bridge by train. Shall do it the next time I am in Delhi

No comments: