Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Waka Waka, where is India?

I was chatting with my sister living in Tema, Ghana over Google chat recently. And it was the day after the kick off of the World Cup and she informed me with glee that Ghana won against Serbia 1-0.
Her colleagues at the hospital she is working is asking, "Mrs Manju, where is the team from India?"
India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
Alas, that sums up India's participation in the World Cup. Will we ever put up a show in the World Cup in the next 10 years? I am sure no. Even though the game is played and the Indian Premier League does exist, it fails to pick up a devout fan following as cricket in the country. I wonder why. Even England, the birthplace of cricket, has a strong team and the name Bekham is on the lips of every football lover in the country and abroad.
Kerala, which was once a football loving state where every street corner in the northern part has a football team, has swtiched its love to cricket. Maybe because there are not as many football matches taking place in the country as cricket.
The fact is I hate cricket and love football, even played it during my school days (I know, it is hard to believe it when you see me with my potbelly and haggered look. I, myself wonder sometimes how I managed to run cross country and karate during my college days).
Politicians want a hand in every pie and destroys even games by politicking. When will we stop playing games with games and actually play the game?
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

No comments: